The Domaine de Coussères is situated between the Mediterranean Sea and the Pyrenees.
The coast is varying with large sandy beaches between Leucate and Argelès, and a rough rocky coast with picturesque fishing-ports from Collioure up to the spanish border.
The mountains offer you spectacular panoramas, such as the Col de Pailhères (2000m), famous by the Tour de France.
The domain is set in a region where ancient castles as Puilaurens, Peyrepertuse and Queribus are silent witnesses of the tragic history of the Cathari wich took place some 750 years ago. Daytrips to these castles make you discover their magical beauty and culture.
Ten minutes away from the guesthouse, you can admire the spectacular “Gorges de Galamus” cleaved by the river Agly, and its hermitage of the 15th Century.
Sport-loving people can enjoy canyoning (Galamus), kayak and rafting (Axat), via ferrata (St.Paul).
Trekkings and walking-tracks throughout the whole area, with many attractive spots to discover.
Besides the numerous vineyards with their wine-cellars you can visit :
- Typical villages.
- The museum of prehistory in Tautavel.
- The fishing port of Collioure.
- The medieval village of Castelnou.
- The palace of the Mallorcan kings in Perpignan.
- The strange cliffs of Ille-sur-Têt.
- The museum of Modern Art in Céret.
- The Priory of Serrabonne.
- The “Caves Byrrh” with the biggest oak-barrel in the world.
- The fortified town of Villefranche-de-Conflent.
- The abbeys of St Michel-de-Cuxa, St Martin-du-Canigou.
- And the beautiful rocky coast between Argeles and Cadaquès.
In the nearby department of the Aude, and still within reach :
- Limoux with its sprankling wine called Blanquette.
- The world famous medieval town of Carcassonne.
- The museum of dinosaurs in Espéraza.
- The attractive romanesque abbey of Fontfroide.
- The African Zoo of Sigean.
- And more Cathar Castles.